We’ve got some exciting plans for CAKE 2015, including programming featuring out special guests and hands-on workshops that will let attendees join in the comics-making process. Here’s what we’ve got planned:
A Conversation with the Hernandez Brothers – Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez discuss their work and careers in comics. Caitlin McGurk from the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum will moderate.
Comic Books and Speculative Fiction – A roundtable discussion of how comics fits into the New Wave of speculative fiction that began in the 1960s with writers like J.G. Ballard, Samuel Delaney, Harlan Ellison, Ursula K. LeGuin, and Octavia Butler.
Comics in Cyberspace – A discussion of the relationship between webcomics and traditional print comics, looking at the different means of distribution now available, from Tumblr to ebooks.
The Real Truth – Three cartoonists will discuss creative nonfiction, creating comics that reflect the details of everyday life, and the ethics and challenges of writing about real people, from friends and family to historical figures.
We’ll be announcing more exciting programming soon!
BRAND NEW for CAKE 2015!
- Live drawing with Jamie Hernandez, hosted by Tom Spurgeon!
- Learn printing techniques from Anya Davidson!
- Help us conduct an experiment to see if cartoonists in different parts of the country have different styles!
- Join a drawing competition hosted by Johnny Misfit, with a chance to win a trophy made by Paul Nudd and post-CAKE exhibiting opportunities at ChiPRC!
- Create jam comics with Trubble Club at CAKE! Bring your kids!
- Learn to format your comics for the web and various devices!
If you want to help us make all this happen, please vote for us to win a grant from the Chicago chapter of the Awesome Foundation here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DQCG8XQ We’re excited about everything we’ve got planned, and we hope you are too!
Programming and workshops are subject to change depending on guest and moderator availability.
The Fourth Annual Chicago Alternative Comics Expo will take place on Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7, 2015 at the Center on Halsted, 3656 N Halsted Ave. If you have any questions about CAKE, please contact us.